Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hello Adult World.

So. I bought that new Crest pro-health mouthwash the other day, and it is amazing... I hate the mouthwash that burns the mess out of your mouth, so obviously I look for the kind that doesn't engulf your mouth in flames. A couple months ago I bought this gargantuous bottle of Listerine because on the front it said "Less Intense!!! Equally Effective!!!", so I thought to myself "Hey, I would like that..." 

So I got home, and to quench my curiosity I went and tried out this "Less Intense" minty mouthwash... and to my alarming surprise, my mouth was once again engulfed in all sorts of burning-ness. Uh HELLO?! Less intense than what?! Being mauled by a bear??? It's definitely "Equally Effective". Sheesh. So yeah, my new mouthwash is great. And less intense.. much less..

So anyway, now that you're filled in on my mouthwash drama... My birthday was yesterday. That's right, I'm officially 22, the big double-deuce. Hooray. You may have noticed the absence of an exclamation mark. Birthdays seem to lose their excitement as you get older. It just seems like any other day... I did however, take some time to thank God for my life and everything I have, and I began to realize that I AM getting older. It's a fact. It's like I'm standing on a moving walkway and as I look behind me, those teenage years are getting smaller and smaller, and my adult years are finally here. Hooray. Again. I guess it just made me realize that life really is short, and I don't have much time here. It's so funny how when we're younger we can't wait to be 16, then 18, then 21... and then once that happens, it's like (in a really girlish voice) "oh I wish I was still 16". 

I can really relate with David in the book of Psalms when he says "As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind blows over it and it is gone, and it's place remembers it no more..." I guess it just made me think of how much importance each day holds. I look at Jesus and stand in amazement at how much he accomplished in just 3 years. Scholars say that Jesus was 30 when He first began His ministry, and He died on the cross at 33 years old. Still, the end of the book of John says, "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." What a statement. In only 3 years? Wow...

I guess I am realizing that I'm not a kid anymore (even though I still act like one sometimes), and I have ALOT of purpose and destiny waiting to be unleashed inside of me. This year, I'm going to see what purpose each day holds, and grab it by the tail. I'm not called to just get married, have a 9-5 job, have kids, raise kids, get old, and die. No, God has much greater things in store for me... I just have to get up and pursue them. 

And I'm going to do so without burning my mouth!


No comments: